Costs of Caring for Injured Children
Despite the sadness and worry they feel after a birth injury, many parents are reluctant to file birth injury lawsuits. Some do not want to blame their doctor for the injury. However, seeking damages for medical malpractice is not a matter of blame. It is a necessary step in covering the cost of the extensive medical treatment and additional services your family will need.
Without sufficient compensation, very few families can afford the cost of caring for a seriously injured child. Health insurance will not cover all of your expenses. Additionally, you will need compensation for the loss of income and benefits you suffer while caring for your child. The lawyers at DeFrancisco & Falgiatano Personal Injury Lawyers in Syracuse can help you understand the types of expenses you will face throughout your child's life. By working with economists, doctors and life-care planners, we will calculate the lifetime cost of your child's care.Medical Expense Compensation is Critical to Your Child's Well-Being
The National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) studied the medical expenses for children enrolled in Medicaid in 2005. Medical costs for children with cerebral palsy and intellectual disability were 26 times greater than for children who did not have cerebral palsy or intellectual disability.
- Doctors, including specialists in occupational, speech and physical therapy, neurologists, pediatric neuroradiologists, psychiatrists, orthopedists, pain management doctors, ophthalmologists, gastroenterologists, ENTs (ear, nose and throat doctors) and special dentists. Children with birth injuries may also need multiple surgeries.
- Additional care, including nursing care, home health care, long-term care and day habilitation services
- Special services, including medical equipment and home modifications
- Lost income and benefits
- Financial and emotional effects of birth injuries on parents
- Early intervention and special education needs
To schedule a free consultation, please call 315-479-9000 or contact us online. We offer evening and weekend appointments as well as home and hospital visits.