If there is one thing that people look forward to during the summer months, it is the good old fashioned backyard barbeque. Whether you are into steaks, burgers, bratwurst or chicken, the taste of freshly grilled meat (and veggies) can’t be beat.
For all that is good about grilled food, it could come with hazards. After all, certain foods must be cooked fully to avoid the potential for contracting food borne diseases such as salmonella. Also, for those who use gas grills, paying attention to how much is already present before lighting the grill is important. You certainly don’t want to subject yourself to severe burns emanating from a flash fire.
But the story of a Connecticut woman reminds us of dangers that can come about even if you are prudent about cleaning your grill. The woman had to undergo emergency surgery to remove a steel bristle that had come off of a cleaning brush and made its way into a hamburger that she ate.
According to an ABC News.com report, the woman complained of severe pain two days after eating the burger. Surgeons were able to remove the hair-like piece of metal, which reportedly had lodged itself in the woman’s small intestine.
It is unknown whether the grill brush was determined to be defective in that it was dangerous despite being used in the manner in which it was designed for. If it was, the manufacturer has a duty to inform consumers of the potential defect and take reasonable steps to prevent other consumers from being harmed.