Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas that causes thousands of deaths each year in North America. Breathing in carbon monoxide is very dangerous. It is the leading cause of poisoning death in the United States.
Individuals can be exposed to carbon monoxide anywhere a combustion engine is found since these types of engines use gas, oil, kerosene and charcoal as fuel - all of which produce carbon monoxide when they are burned. Although combustion engines typically produce small amounts of carbon monoxide, if combustion (oxidation) of the gas is incomplete, or there is a leak in the system, dangerous levels of the gas can be released.
Combustion engines are used in the following appliances:
- Room heaters
- Hot water heaters
- Charcoal grills
- Cooking ranges
- Wood burning stoves
Since these engines are often used to power common household appliances, individuals may be exposed to the gas in their homes, workplaces, construction sites and at hotels.
Sometimes carbon monoxide poisoning goes undiagnosed or there is a delay in diagnosis. The early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may mimic those of the flu, and contrary to popular belief, exposure to the gas does not always cause a loss of consciousness. Patients who are suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning may experience confusion, speech and eyesight problems, and nausea, among other symptoms. Unfortunately, for some victims, their symptoms will not always resolve once they are removed from carbon monoxide exposure and they may be left with permanent neurological side effects.
If you or a loved one has suffered carbon monoxide poisoning, please call DeFrancisco & Falgiatano Personal Injury Lawyers at 315-479-9000 or contact us online. Time is of the essence because there is a time limitation for all personal injury cases. Consultations are always free and you will never be responsible for any legal fees unless we are able to recover compensation for you.