The owner of a property has a legal duty to use reasonable care to keep the property safe from dangerous conditions. However, other persons, such as a tenant, the manager of a property, and contractors working on the premises may also be responsible for maintaining the premises in a safe condition and could be liable for injuries that occur on the property as well.
At DeFrancisco & Falgiatano Personal Injury Law Firm, we have extensive experience in representing people for premises liability and slip-and-fall injuries.
Please feel free to contact us for a free consultation or if you have any questions about a potential case. We serve clients throughout Upstate New York, and we have offices in Syracuse, New Hartford, Oswego, Watertown, Oneida, Cortland and Rochester, New York.
What Are Premises Liability Accidents?
Premises liability generally refers to injuries that occur to victims as a result of unsafe conditions on another person's property. The types of premises liability cases can be almost limitless. Our law firm handles a full range of cases, including:
- Slip-and-fall cases — If you have been injured or a family member was killed by a fall caused by a dangerous condition on another person's property, you may have a right to compensation.
- Fire or explosions — Were you injured when something burned or blew up due to defective products, such as improperly installed gas lines?
- Lead paint exposure — Landlords often fail to remove or even warn about lead paint hazards.
- Carbon monoxide poisoning — If a defective furnace, cooking range or other problem caused injury from breathing carbon monoxide, we can help you pursue full and fair compensation.
- Swimming pool accidents — Backyard pools can be deadly for young children.
- Inadequate security — Landlords often fail to keep common areas lighted or fall short of property security in other ways.
- Dog bites and other animal attacks
Negligent premise conditions can exist in just about every type of building or open space, including homes, apartment complexes, theaters, malls, sports facilities, amusement parks, government buildings, commercial buildings, farms, and other open land spaces.
As experienced attorneys, we initiate all of our cases with an immediate investigation, and:
- Conduct a site inspection to ascertain the dangerous condition that caused the slip-and-fall accident or other condition
- Secure evidence of the dangerous condition before it "disappears"
- Track down witnesses to the slip-and-fall accident or with knowledge of the dangerous condition
- Locate proof of prior complaints about the dangerous condition or of prior slip-and-fall accidents at the same location.
The lawyers at DeFrancisco & Falgiatano Personal Injury Firm have extensive experience in representing clients for premises liability, and slip-and-fall cases. Our lawyers have received multiple awards and recognition in their field for representing injured people such as the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Super Lawyers and Top 1 Percent Trial Counsel for Medical Malpractice, among others.
Who Is Responsible In Premises Liability Accidents?
Often the determining factor is who has the right to control the premises where the accident occurs. If a party has the right to control property, then that party must exercise control in a reasonable manner to prevent foreseeable injuries. If multiple parties have the right to control the property, there may be multiple parties who are liable for an injury. Simply identifying the proper defendants can therefore be a complex task.
Contact Us For A Free Initial Consultation
If you believe you have a case, you can rest assured that our lawyers have the experience and expertise you deserve. Consultations are always free, and you are never responsible for attorney fees unless we can recover compensation for you. Please feel free to contact us for a free consultation or if you have any questions about a potential case.