Boating and other water sports are one of those favorite pastimes which many New York residents enjoy participating in all throughout spring and summer months. More often than not, accidents occur due to the negligence or inexperience of the person operating the watercraft. Because of the potential dangerous nature of the activity, the negligence or inexperience of individuals can result in serious injuries and in some cases, the loss of life. Boating negligence can lead to crashes and drowning if participants are not careful.
Even though a day on the water shouldn't end with tragedy, the truth is that boating accidents in the US occur at a rate of at least 12 per day. In 2012, the Coast Guard counted 4,515 accidents that involved 651 deaths, 3,000 injuries and approximately $38 million dollars of damage to property as a result of recreational boating accidents.
If you or someone you care about has been injured on a boat, Jet Ski, or other watercraft, while enjoying one of New York's many lakes or rivers, we can help. Call 315-479-9000 now to set up a free consultation with the attorneys at DeFrancisco & Falgiatano. We are conveniently located, with offices in Syracuse, and throughout Upstate New York. We will come to your home or to the hospital if you're unable to come to us.
Causes of Boat and Watercraft Collisions
The following are some of the common causes which led to boating accidents:
- Inexperienced boat operators
- Lack of attention
- Actions of passengers in the boat
- Bad or rough weather
- Failed equipment
- Failure to yield
- Over-crowded waters
- Operating while under the influence of alcohol or other illegal substances
- Operating boats that have reached their maximum capacity
- Inadequate safety instructions
At DeFrancisco & Falgiatano Personal Injury Lawyers, our lawyers represent the victims and family members of those who have been injured due to boating accidents. With more than 30 years of experience, our Syracuse-based boating accident attorneys hold careless operators and their insurance companies accountable for the damage which they cause to lives of others.
We represent people involved in boating accidents on all rivers and lakes in upstate New York, including the Finger Lakes, Oneida Lake, Adirondack Lakes and the St. Lawrence River. Our results for personal injury cases speak for themselves.
New York Boat Safety Laws
To protect the people who use our lakes and rivers, New York has passed strict boat safety laws. Under New York law:
- No one may operate a watercraft while impaired by drugs or alcohol.
- Operators generally must limit their speed to five miles per hour or less when within 100 feet of the shore, a dock, a swimming raft, an anchored boat or other moored object.
- Operators must not exceed the capacity of their vessel in terms of passengers or total weight.
- Passengers may not ride on the bow of the vessel unless the boat has an open bow designed for passengers.
- Operators born after May 1, 1996, must complete an approved course in boater education before they can drive a boat with a motor.
If you or someone you know has been the unfortunate victim of a boating accident, call us today for a free case evaluation. In cases like this, time is of the essence to ensure that all evidence to your case is preserved.
Serving Boating Accident Victims in Syracuse, Upstate New York and Surrounding Areas
To learn how we can assist you, contact DeFrancisco & Falgiatano Personal Injury Lawyers at 315-479-9000 or contact us online. Consultations are always free and you will never be responsible for attorneys fees unless we are able to recover compensation for you.